Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chop Point family reunion

It was hard to get into the swing of things at camp this year. I felt out of place and out of rhythm. Until First Session began.

With the first session came a host of repeat campers, many of whom I have known for four years. They treat me like a mix of mother, friend, big sister, coach, and nurse. One evening, as I stepped out of the infirmary yelling warnings at the troop of kids inside and hearing their joking banter aimed at me, I found the best description for my interactions at camp: family reunion. Like my extended family, we can spend many months apart but instantly rekindle the close relationships when we are brought back together. New campers are like the boyfriends and fiances that my cousins introduce and we casually insert them into the mix. I miss Haiti, but it is honestly very hard to be homesick when you're at one big family reunion.




No comments: