Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Adventures of the "Almost Made It"

Two weeks ago, we were supposed to spend the evening at Pemaquid Point, a beautiful lighthouse an hour from camp. I stayed back to drive the 'late van' with the camper-workers because they would not be ready to go as early as everyone else. We almost made it, but in downtown Damariscotta, a beautiful little village off Route 1, my van suddenly died. I pulled over, started it again and was able to get off the road into a parking lot. I could have kept driving, but we've already lost 2 vans this year and I didn't want to risk it.

In those situations, you have a choice. You can be frustrated and disappointed or you can embrace the sudden change in plans and turn it into an adventure. By myself, I might go with the former, but with a van full of awesome teens, it has to become adventure.




We explored the harbor, skipped rocks, caught (and ate) crawfish, sang songs, danced on the bridge, and ate ice cream. Then the kids sat and watched a beautiful sunset while I shared a little message with them from the book of Numbers, about the 2 spies who weren't afraid to go into the Promised Land like God asked. I reminded them why those spies were different - in Deuteronomy, we are told that unlike everyone else, they actually spent time in God's presence. That's the way to be courageous when others are cowards and to do great things when others lead monotonous lives. Spend time with Him, trust Him, and follow Him.






Eventually, Dave came to rescue us with a fresh van. What a hero!

And that concludes this week's edition of Adventures of the "Almost Made It". Join us next week for another adventure.

No comments: