Friday, November 8, 2013

Jess

My friend Jess passed away on October 26th, exactly 6 months after being diagnosed with bone cancer.
 
I think many things about my time with Jess, her life and her death, but the simplest emotion is this: "Mwen sonje w". In Haitian Creole, that phrase means "I remember you" and it also means "I miss you." I love that, as if the very act of remembering you makes me miss you. As if the fondness that makes me remember you automatically evokes the sadness of your absence.
 
I remember Jess many times a day, every day. And therefore I miss her. So Jess, to you: a salute, and "Mwen sonje w." 
 
 
 

2 comments:

R Marshall said...

that IS a wonderful phrase ~ may God give you comfort :-)

Anonymous said...

May you take comfort in knowing an angel is watching over you.