Friday, April 25, 2014

Peaches

The students in 3rd grade at Jubilee School speak English very well but they struggle with French, the professional language of Haiti. Every week, thanks to my friends at Chop Point School who provided me with a whole library of children's books in French, I do story hour with them in an attempt to pique their interest and expand their vocabularies.
 
We recently finished the book James and the Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl. There was only one problem: these kids had never seen a peach before! When I explained what the fruit was, they all thought I meant a mango. So finally, I got a friend to bring me a peach all the way from America, and each student got to touch, smell, and taste a real peach.
 
I wish you could have seen how excited they were!
 
 




 

“The walls were wet and sticky, and peach juice was dripping from the ceiling. James opened his mouth and caught some of it on his tongue. It tasted delicious.”
       - Roald Dahl, James and the Giant Peach

No comments: