Thursday, April 30, 2015

It's time

I leave Haiti in 25 days. 
 
 
It was a hard decision but I feel like it's time. I've lived here for 8 years and I'm ready to be closer to my family, and selfishly, to have forests in my life again. I've also noticed in the last year or two that I am more easily frustrated and less compassionate in the daily challenges and needs that arise, and I prefer to leave before I become bitter or burnt out. 
 

 
Knowing that my time is limited makes me appreciate this place more than ever. My friends and I have been doing a lot of biking and hiking in our time off and I'm amazed yet again at the beauty I can find among the thorns and the cacti and the barren hills. I've always wanted to leave Haiti when it was still hard to leave and I am both glad and sad to announce that I've gotten my wish. When I stand atop this mountain with my dear friends, all I can think is that I have a beautiful life here in Gonaives and leaving is not going to be easy. 


No comments: