Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Personal psalms

When I substitute taught Bible class to the seniors at Quisqueya, I gave them the assignment of writing a personal psalm. I told them that I didn't want them to just write churchy mumbo jumbo, but to really talk to God honestly. Here are a few of my favorite lines from what they wrote:

"God, sometimes I wonder why you created things that no one understands. For example, why did you make the Atlantic Ocean so deep? What's at the bottom? Why did you give us myths like El Dorado? The fact that these things are unresolved is killing me. Why, Lord, why?"

"God, you are my sun and my light.
You are the music in my life,
The chocolate in my chocolate milk."

"Above all things, Lord, give me a better relationship with you."

"Next year I will go off to college and I will work hard but God, without you, I won't succeed. God, please guide me and give me wisdom so that I can do the right things in college."

"God, you are like my generator in times of darkness when my inverter has no charge."

"God, why did Eve eat the apple? Why didn't you stop her? The Bible says that God knows everything. I guess you knew she was going to take a bite. Why does the Bible make you sound so surprised when you found out?"

2 comments:

Natasha Rae Jovin: lovex3 said...

"God, you are like my generator in times of darkness when my inverter has no charge."

this is beautiful...

Natasha Rae Jovin: lovex3 said...

i also love the one bringin in the chocolate!! they are all good!

blessings keziah! xoxox