Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Every day's an adventure


The Roanoke team left and was replaced by a rotating group of Air Force docs, nurses and techs. They have been running clinic 2 days a week at Delmas 24 with me. Some days, I translate for them; other days, I see my own patients in between overseeing clinic. They have been supplying us with boxes and boxes of priceless meds, more than I need. I have been able to send a truckload to Quisqueya Christian School, from whence it will be distributed to needy hospitals and clinics throughout Port-au-Prince, Carrefour and Leogane.










One of the things that has been particularly difficult for me since the earthquake has been the absence of essentially all my close friends, due to injuries, death and evacuation. But after 3 weeks of running clinics at Delmas 24, I have acquired a new group of friends. Josilien, Sendhi, Tendhi, Obed, Jean Marc, Caroline and Lucson have been my trustworthy crew and we have become not just collegues but friends. On our first day of clinic after the Roanoke team left, we went "flane" (Creole slang for hanging out) in the neighborhood, bought pate (Haitian fried food) and had a picnic. Oh, it is great to have friends again!



1 comment:

Sondra said...

Glad that the Airforce Crew is @ Delmas 24 for some clinics. I was worried it might be a while before some of our people got dressing changes, and follow up care. Great to see all of you having some fun & hanging out! Tell them "The White People" say Bonjou~ & we miss them! Praying for you all, God Bless