Sunday, April 4, 2010

A very happy day

I have been doing my rounds in the Ravine on Friday evenings now because during the day, no one is home. Most of my regulars have moved to nearby tent cities; I can't possibly treat all those tent cities, so Wisnal and I have chosen the two that are closest to our old route. I generally go to Sherrie's in the mid-afternoon so I have some time to play with the Gonaives orphans before starting my rounds. They are thriving despite the ongoing construction around them.





Since the quake, I have slowly received reports on my Ravine families. Some children died; some went to the country; some have simply disappeared. One of my favorites, a beautiful little girl named Fabiola whose particularly light skin tone made everyone call me her mother, was nowhere to be found. Neighbors told me that they were pretty confident she had not died, but her home was destroyed and I heard no other news of them. On Friday, just as I was finished my rounds, I heard a tiny voice say, "Maman!" I turned and there was Fabi, running towards me. It was a very happy end to the day.

3 comments:

kc said...

wow kez...i am so glad...what a moment...and yes those pics are stinkin cute...and you are so beautiful...

Mama Beth said...

I agree - you are so stinkin' beautiful...

Nicole said...

Those are really really sweet pictures. I am so glad that little Fabi is alive and well, that must have been such a precious moment, when you heard her call your name!!!