Sunday, September 12, 2010

Leprosy?




I know it isn't actually leprosy, but I was stumped by this strange skin condition on a young man in the ravine. My friend Dr Karen, a general practitioner, was with me that afternoon and she also was puzzled by his illness. His mother said that he had only been sick for 4 days, but he looked to me as if he had been wasting away for weeks. Based on his additional complaint of respiratory trouble and the fact that the sores began as pus-filled blisters, we treated with a powerful antibiotic. I am very concerned for him and can't wait to see him again next week to see how he's doing and whether the keloid-like scars will remain or fade.

3 comments:

Mama-Beth said...

Are there doctor-friends who follow your blog & can give you suggestions?

lmbayard said...

the top picture almost looks like big bug bites... definitely keep us updated on how hes doing, too! good luck, amie!

Anonymous said...

kez in my super qualified medical opinion and let me just remind you how incredibly qualified that i am i would say that it would obviously be OHH yeah i almost forgot to tell you that nevermind ill just cut to the cahse and tell you what i think this skin disorder is Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum i would suggest looking into that.

Dr.Princiotta