Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Transition

It's that time of year. Time to leave Haiti and go to Maine for my summer nursing job at Chop Point camp. As always, it was difficult to leave, especially with all the excitment that has surrounded my youth group for the past month - retreats, road blocks, banquets for poor people, church service led entirely by the youth, prayer and worship in a voodoo cemetary, taking care of a crippled lady in the streets, doing service projects at the church, visiting a destitute family in the pouring rain - but it is nice to be back among my camp friends. Of course, it would be a lot nicer if it wasn't so horribly cold here!


This is me. Today. Freezing. To death. In Maine.


I got to spend 3 days with my family in Boston before coming to camp. It was short but sweet. The good news is that my younger brother, Barnabas, is a counselor at Chop Point this summer, and my sister (front left) will be the dining hall steward. My mother is renting a cottage nearby so that we can see her conveniently, and my older brother and his wife (top right) are staying at my parents' condo in Boston for a few months before starting new jobs. My dad is headed to Holland for his annual teaching seminar so I won't see him again until the end of the summer.



Happy summer, everybody. Well, they keep telling me it's summer but I'm not sure I believe them. It feels a lot more like early winter...

No comments: