Sunday, November 25, 2012

Nursing assistant classes

Nursing assistant classes...so much fun.
 
A couple weeks ago, I arranged 6 of our teenage friends from Jubilee as disaster victims with a variety of injuries and sent my students out to find them and provide first aid. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more, the future NAs or the kids who got to pretend to be bleeding and unconscious and even dying.
 
 
 
 
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw what my students had done for Jeff. His mock injury had him pinned underneath a vehicle and they were caring for him at the site. They decided that he needed an IV, so they grabbed a cup of water, an old PVC pipe and a roll of gauze and made an IV!
 
 
This week and last week we've been alternating between lessons about diabetes and practice taking blood pressures. Taking a blood pressure is not easy, particularly in a school with as much background noise as ours: 100+ children running around, construction in the classrooms beside and above mine, men ripping pieces off a dilapidated dump truck right outside, our 3 school dogs barking and playing on the porch...
 
 
 
On Thursday, we had a proper BP party. There are 18 visitors working with us this week, so I borrowed a few to be victims. My students went nuts competing to get the correct read on each of the Americans. When the elementary teachers heard our ruckus, they joined in too. I think we had 30 people in my tiny classroom at one point, Americans laughing and rubbing sore arms, students yelling to me to come see if the BP they'd just gotten was correct, victorious dancing when I gave a big thumbs up. 

When we walked out of class that day, Renelson, one of my youngest students, yelled back at me with a huge grin on his face, "Class was tasty today, Miss Keziah!!"

No comments: