Thursday, May 30, 2013

Graduation

My second class of nursing assistants/community health agents graduated a week ago. I have to be honest and say that this particular group was not as dedicated and fun to be around as the last group, however, there were 4 or 5 students who I simply adore and who I would be very proud to work alongside if the opportunity arises.
 
 
I used two of my best from December's class for hospice care when a Jubilee neighbor was dying of AIDS and they were amazing - they worked almost double the hours we paid them for and when she was hospitalized, they cared for other patients on the ward simply out of compassion. Dying from AIDS in Haiti is a lonely and frightening prospect, but my students came in with love and gentleness and big smiles, and our patient absolutely loved them. I was extremely proud.
 
We have been tossing ideas around about other ways to employ my top students. Pray with me that ideas become realities! For now, I'm encouraged to hear stories from my students about the little ways that they are sharing their knowledge and skills in their communities. Keep it up, graduates!  
 

No comments: