Friday, April 24, 2009

Girls' retreat

Last Friday after I got back from the Comfort, I went to Wahoo Bay as a chaperone on girls' retreat with Quisqueya Christian School. It was a great time - Haitian tablet (peanut brittle cookie) on the way, facials on the beach, lots of pool time, a funky fashion show, deep discussions and prayer time with some girls that I've really been wanting to get know better.












In good Haiti style, we got a flat tire on the way home. I had made it all weekend without a sunburn, but the hour that we stood by the road nailed me. It was funny to see most of the girls dancing and singing to music and then see Joy by herself, catching up on homework. That would have been me in high school. Yes, Joy and I are kindred spirits.



Wahoo Bay is a beautiful location, full of flowers and trees, very peaceful. It was a nice was to recuperate from my crazy week with the Comfort. Granted, it was a girls' retreat, so we talked more than we slept, but I did steal a few hours our first afternoon for a long nap and spend some very refreshing time in the pool. It was one of those rare moments when I remember that I am in fact living on a Caribbean island!



No comments: