Sunday, May 18, 2008

Around the pension

I met Mitch, the cat, last January. I assumed that with a name like Mitch, the cat was male, but it turns out I was wrong. Mitch had kittens this year. The 2 little ones are terrified of people and they stay hidden in the closet under the stairs, only coming out occasionally to eat scraps of food. I suggested that we name the kittens Mamba (Peanut Butter) and Sos Pwa Nwa (black bean sauce) but the girls just laughed at me. I was serious but I guess Haitians do not name their pets after food. This is probably because the words for "cookie" and "cracker" are the same in Creole. You can name a pet Cookie, but Cracker? I don't think so. Acheley is such an amazing boy. He is quiet and well-behaved, never one of the kids who drives me crazy by constantly asking for things. He loves making necklaces and bracelets, playing soccer with the other boys, studying the Bible, listening to music, and playing gameboy. He has already completed the entire Bible study journal that I gave the kids in February and he told me once that he wants to be a pastor when he grows up. Acheley also loves being with the little NLL boys. He carries them around, he lets them sit in his lap, he helps them with their homework and with getting dressed for church, and just generally looks after them. They love him, especially James.
Just like old times - all the kids hanging out in my room after class, playing with my cell phone, talking, holding babies, trying on my clothes, bouncing on the bed, and ignoring my half-hearted efforts to get them to change out of their school uniforms.


The girls like to take old clothes and cut them up to make clothes for their dolls. None of them would be caught dead in a tube top, but they don't mind dressing their dolls that way. And why is it that Haitians love white clothes? I have never been to a dustier country than Haiti, but they manage to wear white clothes and have them actually remain white. Yet another reason why Americans are inadequate.

No comments: