Thursday, January 21, 2010

A little reprieve

I got helicoptered onto the USNS Comfort this morning. I translated most of the day until wonderful Commander Donahue realized how exhausted I was and sent me to his quarters for a nap. Now, I have had a glass of milk, some sleep, clean clothes (first time in 10 days) and hugs from several friends, I am feeling much better. And less prone to burst into tears at the slightest act of kindness.

I'll spend the night on board tonight and then go back on the ground tomorrow to get a few patients from St Damien's Hospital onto the Comfort. I have sweet connections :) Hopefully, I will be able to go back and forth from the Comfort over the next few weeks, so that I can be useful to them, get my own patients the care they need, and keep providing for the 200 refugees who remain in my camp.

My favorite moment of the day: Tom Olivero, the head nurse in the OR, told me that when he was being interviewed before the Comfort left Miami, someone asked him why he was eager to go back to Haiti to help. "I have a friend there," he answered. "A nurse that we worked with last time we were in Haiti." And then he started to cry and couldn't continue talking. Wow. I can't believe how many people care about me. Thank you everyone!

14 comments:

Keziah said...

Wonderful! I am so glad you are there, Kez. Thank you for posting the update. Thank you for taking a nap. I hope over the next several days you will be of help to the Comfort staff and will see miracles happen.

Keziah said...

That comment above is from your mother, not yourself!
xxxxxooooxxxxxooooo,
Mom

Victoria said...

Keziah,
The westerville walker's thank you for your postings. We too are glad about your nap, especially the ones in the house who love naps. The clean clothes and stuff are probably appreciated too. Keep up the great work. We love you.

David, Gayle, Hilary and Kelsey

Unknown said...

Kez,
Glad to hear that you are taking some time to rest. You have endured so much over this past week and have been worked tirelessly to help those around you. I think of you often and pray for your safety. You are truly amazing and inspiring to so many!

Unknown said...

Kez,
I am glad to hear that you are taking some time to rest. You have endured so much over this past week and have worked tirelessly to help the wounded. I think of you often and pray for your safety. You are truly amazing and inspiring to so many!

lmbayard said...

I love you, my dear Kez. I'm glad you are safe and getting some rest. Give yourself a hug from me and know that you are an angel in my, and many others, eyes <3

Nicole said...

Kez, I am really glad that you are getting some rest. PLUS you got to reconnect with friends AND you are getting your patients the help they need and able to help with surgeries on board the Comfort? How awesome is that! Sounds like you have a lot of connections. God is really taking care of you and holding you in his hands this week, isnt he?

Still praying for you.

Nicole

Hannah said...

So glad to hear that the Comfort is in Haiti and that you are with them tonight. YOU GOT YOUR MILK! :-D I am sure they are all glad to have you back as well. Love you.

Julie Ray said...

Keziah, SO many people care about you! Not a day has gone by since the quake that I have not thought of you dozens of times. And I have shared news of you and your blog with my friends and family. We are so grateful that you are safe and that you are there to care for so many others! Hang in there!
Much love, Aunt Julie (Ray)!

Macro Guy said...

Glad to hear it, Keziah. Sounds like you're in the place where you can do the most good.

Katie K said...

I'm in tears. Kez, you're a living angel. For a woman your age to speak of the 200 who remain in "my camp" just speaks volumes about you. I came across this blog via a friend in Michigan whose mother met you in Haiti. Many prayers are coming your way. Please take care of yourself. Thank you for what you're doing.

Anonymous said...

Kez you shouldn't be so surpirzed. You are in my thought and prayers always (: I love you and wish you all the best ahead ! (:

((from Savannah R))

lynncs said...

Dear Keziah, I am a friend of your Aunt Amy, I have been following your blog. I just want to say thank you.

Unknown said...

Keziah, We are so humbled by the work you are doing. Bea has shared your story with her class & we will be doing our annual card project for your community there.
Let me know what you think is the most efficient way to donate $ to help..directly to you? a charity of your choice? Many tears shed, & prayers being sent your way.
Aunt Amy & family